I’m on Christmas break, and it is official… I’ve lost all track of time. I think that every day is Saturday. So this definitely isn’t a “recipe Monday.” (But I’ll admit I had to look at the calendar to see that it is Thursday.)
Anyway – here is a recipe that Mom made the other night and that I have made before too. I don’t give exact amounts, because the good thing is that you can make a large or a small casserole dish of this, depending on how many you are feeding.
1 box breadcrumbs (you can get Italian breadcrumbs or plain and add the seasoning yourself)
2 or 3 eggs
1 jar red pasta sauce (pick the flavor that suits you!)
penne pasta (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375.
2. Cut the eggplant into thin slices (about 1/4 inch). Slice enough of the eggplant to cover the bottom of your casserole dish twice.
3. Beat the eggs together in a bowl and dip the eggplant slices in the egg. Let the excess drip off. Then dip the slices in breadcrumbs.
4. Heat about 4 T olive oil in a skillet- just enough to coat the bottom. Drop eggplant slices in oil to make brown/crispy on both sides. Add more oil as necessary.
5. Coat the bottom of your casserole dish lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Spread a layer of pasta sauce in the bottom of the dish, a layer of eggplant, then sprinkle with a layer of mozzarella and parmesan. (This would be great with sliced fresh mozzarella!) Make a second layer of eggplant slices, topped with a layer of sauce and then mozzarella and parmesan.
6. Cover with foil and bake about 15-20 minutes (depending on size of dish). Remove foil, add another layer of cheese, and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes.
7. Optional- serve over penne pasta.
Yum! It is a vegetarian dish that even my dad will go for! I don’t think anyone would feel like they’ve been cheated out of a solid meal with this.